Applications are now open for this year’s LGI Moving Forward Residencies at WXYZ Studios.
There are at least three residencies of up to three weeks available, taking place between July and December 2021. Each selected project will be offered a weekly stipend of $1,000 to support project costs. These residencies will be hosted primarily in Studio Two at WXYZ Studios.
Find information on the ways you can apply for this opportunity below. You can also download an example application to give you an idea of what information we’re seeking, and find some application tips at the bottom of this post.
We strongly encourage applications from dance artists identifying as First Nations, CALD, Deaf or Disabled. Please let Tom know if you require this information in an alternative format or if there are any other barriers to your application or participation.
Any questions or queries, please contact Tom to discuss: firstname.lastname@example.org / 0451 262 152
2021 RESIDENCIES - MORE INFORMATION
About Moving Forward Residencies
Moving Forward Residencies seek to support projects that have already had some development time and may be approaching an outcome. This outcome could be a presentation of the work or some mode of sharing an artistic or choreographic research such as a workshop, talk or publication.
This opportunity is not aimed at entirely new projects or early-stage artistic research. If you’re unsure if your project is suitable for this opportunity, contact Tom to discuss (contact details above).
What we offer you:
- Up to 3 weeks of in-kind studio space (full-time or equivalent, up to 30 hours/week total) between July and December 2021.
- A stipend of $1,000 per week to support project costs.
- Opportunities to promote the residency project via a hosted work-in-progress showing and dedicated residency blog post on the LGI website.
- Peer feedback via a Critter session following the work-in-progress showing.
- Access to daily professional class for you and your collaborators when you’re in residence.
- Basic admin support from the LGI team during the residency period, as appropriate.
NOTE: Due to limited studio availability, these residencies will mainly take place in Studio Two.
What we ask of you:
- Bring your creative energy to WXYZ Studios and engage positively with the LGI community throughout your residency.
- Participate in a work-in-progress showing of your residency project followed by a Critter session (artist and audience feedback session) at the end of your residency period. This will be hosted by LGI and we’ll support its organisation so you can focus on your residency.
- Provide materials for your residency blog post, including pre and post-residency copy, images and any links, within requested timelines. Find examples of recent residency blog posts by scrolling through our News feed.
- Credit LGI as a supporter in all future marketing for the project.
In the application, you will be asked to request the dates and residency schedule that best supports your project’s needs. This may include working full-time (Mon to Fri), out of hours (evenings and weekends), part-time (a few days a week) or a mix of these approaches. If you have specific requests around the schedule, please briefly outline them as indicated in the application.
While we will aim to support your requests where possible, some flexibility may be essential to ensure the successful completion of each residency period. For example, please be aware that there are fixed minimum timings for daytime and evening sessions, whether or not you use that whole allocated session.
This opportunity is for individuals or collectives identifying as dance artists or choreographers with some previous experience of leading studio residencies and for projects that can demonstrate some previous development time.
Applicants must be available to take up the residency in the months listed above, if selected, and within the availability of studio spaces. We cannot guarantee space availability outside of these windows. All residency allocations must be utilised no later 17 December 2021.
This opportunity will likely suit smaller-scale projects, as it is mainly hosted in Studio Two. There is very limited availability of Studio One, especially for full-time residencies, so if your project needs a larger space throughout the residency period this may not be the right opportunity to apply for. Contact Tom to discuss if you have specific questions on this point.
HOW TO APPLY
You can apply by :
– filling out and submitting this online form.
– filling out either of these this PDF version or Word version of the form. To submit, email this to Tom directly or hand in a hard copy to a staff member at WXYZ Studios.
Download an example application here to give you an idea of what information we’re seeking.
Deadline for all submissions: Wed 2 June 2021 at 5pm AEST
We aim to contact all applicants by Thurs 24 June 2021
If you have any questions, queries or requests about this opportunity or the application process, please contact Tom (ideally before Thurs 27 May).
Keep your responses short and concise. We can always contact you if we need more information.
Providing links that offer more information on you and your project is really helpful, including video clips up to 2 minutes total.
Image: Bryony Jackson